Thursday, August 8, 2013

New 5 Rules Posters - Nautical Style!

The most basic part of Whole Brain Teaching are the 5 Rules.  You don't need any more than these perfect rules.  They cover EVERYTHING!  I really could even just go with #4 & #5, but at least this gives more details to the kiddos.

What are the rules?  They are:
I love that its not just "Follow Directions."  You know that one little special friend who follows directions, but in the slowest manner in the world?  We've got him covered!  When anyone in the class is breaking the rule, you don't call out the rule-breaker, giving them their sought after attention.  Nope.  Just announce to the class "rule #1" and they will parrot back "Follow directions quickly!"  Problem behavior is now in check without having to embarrass someone or give attention to the negative attention-seeker.
Now, there are times where I have the kids working in groups, and I let them know, don't worry about this rule.  But for the most part, I expect them to work quietly, listen quietly, etc.  If someone breaks the rule, again, just say "Rule #2" and the class quickly responds with the rule.  That goes for ALL of the rules.
I didn't use this one until part way through last year.  I had some 'wanderers'.  You know those lovebugs who need a new pencil ever 12 seconds, or a tissue every time you ask a question?  I have silent signals for every reason you want to get up!  I just keep speaking or doing what I'm doing, look them in the eye and nod or shake my head.
"Is that a smart choice?"  You know you say it all the time.  This covers hitting, biting, yelling, etc.  The catch all rule!
If teacher isn't happy, nobody is happy!  I tell the kids that I do a much better job keeping them happy when I'm happy!  For me, humming and whistling are in this category.

To grab a FREE copy of these posters for your classroom or home, visit this link!  This will take you to Teachers Pay Teachers, but don't worry, it's FREE!

By the way, this adorable ClipArt and Paper is from Clementine Digitals.  They have unbelievably adorable papers and clipart!  Visit their Etsy store here!

No comments:

Post a Comment