Friday, August 23, 2013

Recovering my old, ugly desk chair - a tutorial!

This week, I saw the best idea on instagram.  Lessons with coffee posted a pic of her desk chair that she recovered using only a screwdriver - and not to turn screws, but to shove fabric...  





















So this is a tutorial on how I made my own!







I decided this little puppy

needed a makeover.  

In keeping with my nautical theme and absolute chevron obsession, I chose this pretty little blue and white chevron from Hobby Lobby (love that place).


Unfortunately for me, the bottom piece of my chair required stapling.  Thank goodness I have recovered my dining chairs a bunch of times and already have one.


Unfortunately, I could not find a flat head screwdriver, so I used a butter knife!  LOL, no, don't laugh!

To get started you'll need:  
fabric, about 1 and 1/2- 2 yards
a flathead screwdriver (or butter knife)
possibly a staple gun

1.  Cut your pieces of fabric slightly larger than the top and bottom pieces of your chair.  You can always trim excess as you go along.

2.  Lay the fabric on a table face down and put the seat on top of.  Work your way around the chair pulling tight and stapling.  I recommend fan-folding so you don't end up with a crease on the top (see pic)

3.  For the top piece, put the chair back on the ground.  Using your screwdriver, shove the fabric between the seat and the plastic part on the back.  I did the sides first, then the bottom and then the top.  The bottom was the trickiest.  One problem I had was that not much extra fabric would for between the seat back and the plastic back.  I just went ahead and cut off some of the extra fabric.




Here's the finished product!

This whole process took about 20-25 minutes.  If you try it and post and instagram pic, tag me:  I'd love to see your creations! @adventuresinwholebrainteaching

No comments:

Post a Comment